Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Tortilla's

Last night I made homemade tortilla's!! Yum Yum.
I think I might just start making them instead of buying tortilla's, and I will know what's in them... 5 ingredients.
Trust me, they take almost no time to do. I made these while 'little man' was taking a nap.

Here is the recipe for Homemade Whole Wheat flour Tortilla's:

Ingredients:

* 2 3/4 whole wheat flour
* ½ tsp of salt
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ½ cup of olive oil
* 1 1/4 cup of hot water - you really don't need this much water I found so don't pour it all in, just a little at a time.

Directions:

- Mix the flour and salt.
- Mix in the oil by hand until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Add the water slowly until you have a soft elastic ball. You may need to add a little more or less water, but do it slowly. You may not really need as much water as you think you do.
- Knead until smooth.
- Cover with a damp towel and then let rest 1-8 hours.

- Make about 10-12 golf ball sized balls.
- Flatten and roll each ball into a flat round disk.
- Cook on a very hot skillet. No oil is necessary.
- Flip when bottom side is golden, the top should be bubbling slightly when ready. Use a spatula to lift the edge and check for doneness before flipping completely.
- Keep the cooked tortillas warm by covering with a damp towel while you continue to cook.

Makes 10-12




Remember the Quinoa Salad I made the other day?



I put that and and some cheese in a heated up tortilla shell, boy was that good
Go ahead and make these! (make sure you have at least one warm fresh off the griddle)


1 comment:

  1. I am completely stoked about this tortilla recipe! I've always wanted to make my own tortillas, but never got around to finding a recipe, as I thought it would be super hard for some reason. AND that you can make them whole wheat....AWESOME! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete